Sunday, September 25, 2011

New pots!

I am proud to announce a new addition to my kitchen. I've been using a mixed set of middle-of-the-road nonstick cookware for as long as I've lived here. Some pieces were mine, some were Dave's, all were decent, but not great, and getting old. The nonstick coating was peeling off of some, and the rivets on the handles were getting loose enough to make the pots unstable. One of them started leaking through the loose rivet-holes recently, and I had to retire it.

When I was setting up a wedding registry, years ago (hey, I can say that because I've been married 1.5 years and set up the registry at least 6 months before the wedding, which makes two years, permitting the plural), I put on a set of nice, stainless cookware, to replace the old stuff. We got more than enough in gift cards for us to go out and buy them, but so many other things seemed more important at the time, and we decided to hold off on the new pots and pans. I don't regret it, because we definitely needed other things more, but I have been checking out sales now and then, hoping to treat myself a to new shiny set.

When I visited Montreal, I came back with a fabulous early birthday present from my mother, a Lagostina "commercial pro" stainless steel cookware set. It's not a brand I ever see around here but it's common in Canada. It's a fancy-pants expensive brand, usually, and the pots are so pretty. She got them at an awesome sale price, and I'm so happy to have them!


I haven't had a chance to use them yet but Mom has had the same set for a few months now and she loves it and says the pots heat evenly and well, and the shape is great for stirring and whisking. They look like they're very solidly built and I'm looking forward to trying them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment