Friday, April 15, 2011

Recipe Fail - Roasted tomato slices

I had a tomato. Just one. A big round one. And I wasn't planning to make a salad, or a sandwich, and I wasn't sure what to do with one tomato. So I remembered how I sometimes like grilled tomatoes, and decided to try putting tomato slices under the broiler instead. I am not sure why I thought that was a reasonable substitution of cooking method.

I sliced the tomato into thick slices and sprinkled some salt and pepper on them, and stuck them under the broiler. After a minute or two, they were just barely browning, so I added a little cheese, because cheese makes everything delicious, and put them back. Two more minutes and the cheese was bubbly and the slices looked pretty good. I forgot to take a picture, but it's just as well, because I don't want any poor innocent readers seeing a delicious-looking picture and then trying this sad recipe, because disappointment is guaranteed.

They were incredibly squishy. They completely fell apart into tomatoey, cheesy goo as soon as I tried lifting them off the baking sheet. I have since found a recipe in a book (probably a better bet than the ones that appear in my head) that cautions to only use underripe tomatoes for this sort of thing, lest they fall apart on you.

Lesson learned.

If my tomato plants make it through the summer and start giving me tomatoes, hopefully I will have a chance to test this and many other tomato recipes, as I try to get through what will surely be mounds of giant tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment