Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lunar eclipse

I set my alarm to 2:45 a.m. last night so I could get up and witness the total lunar eclipse, because the little girl in me who wanted to be an astronomer is not quite completely dead. I wish I could post some pictures, but my dinky little camera would not do it justice at all.

It was beautiful. By that time it was nearly complete and the moon was a disc of copper with a white crescent edge. It was a perfectly clear night, with bright twinkling stars surrounding the moon - absolutely gorgeous. I love watching the night sky any time I get a chance, and an event like this was not to be missed. I keep thinking I should go camping out in the wilderness somewhere so I could really see the sky and enjoy it properly, maybe get a telescope to get closer to the moon.

Did I mention I was watching the eclipse in my jammies, lying on my bedroom floor with a cat on my feet, looking up through the skylight? How great is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment