Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Tortellini Salad

Lucky me, I got the "pasta salad" assignment for two different get-togethers a week apart, and some of the same people will be at both events! This means I can't just make two big batches of my delicious Party Pasta Salad - I need to find a new pasta salad and hope to impress with it!

I got it in my head to do a tortellini salad, but the recipes I found online all included several ingredients that would be picked out by various party-goers, as we're generally a fussy bunch when it comes to food.

Because my other pasta salad is always well-received, I stuck with similar ingredients. This isn't a "recipe", because nothing was measured out, but I'll do my best to show you how to recreate it.

Frozen (or fresh) cheese tortellini
Italian salad dressing
Red onion
Cherry or grape tomatoes
Parmesan cheese

Cook and drain about 2 pounds of frozen tortellini. I used a little under half of the giant 5-pound bag of Seviroli brand frozen cheese tortellini from Costco, which is where I'm getting that "2 pounds" from. Rinse with cold water to cool them down, then drain well or dump into a large, clean dish towel to dry the pasta. Put into a bowl and douse with Italian dressing of your choice. I used about half a cup of Ken's Lite Northern Italian with Basil and Romano, but it's hard to say exactly how much to use, so assess your salad and adjust accordingly. Then I halved a pint of grape tomatoes and thinly sliced 1/4 of a red onion and tossed those in, immediately followed by some grated parmesan. The longer this stuff sits in the fridge, the better it tastes, so make this the night before you plan on eating it, if you can. Test it before serving it, and add some extra dressing if the pasta has soaked everything up and the salad has dried out.

No comments:

Post a Comment