Saturday, July 02, 2011

What's for Dinner - Simple Garlic Beans

I bought some gorgeous yellow beans at the farmer's market, and ate the first half of them that day, roasted in the oven the same way I love my green beans. They were, as expected, delicious. But for the second half, I wanted to try something different.


I washed and trimmed the beans, cut the big ones in half, and then piled them in the little steamer basket insert I have for one of my pots. I let them go about ten minutes so they were soft enough to poke through with a fork but not completely floppy. I could have just boiled them but I think they retain more vitamins this way, so I figured I'd make the effort for my health.

When they were done, I put them aside and dumped out the water, replacing it with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and one minced garlic clove. I cooked the garlic for a minute or two until it browned just the littlest bit, then I added the beans back in and stirred them around for a minute. I added salt and fresh pepper, and finished them off with a tiny pat of butter because I couldn't help myself.

OMG yummiest thing ever. I wish I had more beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment