Monday, January 17, 2011

What's for Dinner - Grandmaman Adèle's Stuffed Tomatoes

Another wonderful recipe from the family book that turned out incredibly delicious. This is definitely making me want to keep going and try them all!


Grandmaman Adèle's Stuffed Tomatoes

Her recipe:

2 slices of bacon, chopped
1/2 medium onion, diced
4 medium tomatoes
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup light cream
1 slice whole wheat bread, shredded
1 cup mild cheese (gouda, cheddar, monterey jack)

Fry up the bacon with the onions till onions are soft, and set them aside in a mixing bowl. Add eggs, cream, mustard, bread, and cheese to the bowl, and mix well. Use a sharp knife to cut off the top of the tomatoes, and scoop them out with a spoon. Fill them with the stuffing and cook at 450 for about 15 minutes or until the tops get brown and crispy.


My changes:
Had no bacon, so I sprinkled some bacon salt into the mix.
Had no Dijon mustard, so I used Hellman's Dijonnaise.
Had a whole wheat baguette so wasn't sure how much I needed... I kept adding bread to it until it looked like a stuffing instead of a soup. I think if you followed the recipe exactly you'd have a squishier result, so I recommend adding more bread. It ended up being about 1/3 of a small baguette.

These were delicious. We had 4 medium tomatoes to stuff, and had enough stuffing left over that I managed to also fill half a giant tomato that I found in the fridge (I think its other half was involved in last weekend's party dip). Definitely err on the side of bigger tomatoes for this recipe, because especially if you increase the amount of bread, you get a lot of stuffing. The end result tastes somewhere between a bacony quiche and an oniony, mustardy omelette, smooshed into a tomato.

There are so many possibilities for this dish - varying the cheese or the type of bread will give you different flavors to play with. Considering how well this one was received, it's on the "try again" list for sure, so I'll be changing it up now and then to see what works. I'll also use real bacon next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment