Saturday, July 31, 2010

Restaurant Night: Uno's

We went out to Uno's for dinner last night. We discovered that their boneless wings in the "Wowza" sauce are actually pretty yummy, despite the silliness of the name "Wowza sauce".

Dave got a lobster wrap from their special summer menu and was pretty impressed with it. I got steak skewers, which I've gotten before and really liked. Partway through the meal, I bit down into a peppercorn and took it out of my mouth so as not to chip a tooth. It was a shiny, translucent peppercorn. As hard and clear as glass. In fact, it was glass. I poked at the rest of the food on my plate and found a half dozen more millimeter-sized shards of glass coating my steak.

The waiter was properly horrified. The manager, on the other hand, told me it was probably just the coarse salt they use to season their steaks. Right. Last I checked, salt was salty. And dissolves in liquid. And is not glass.

They comped the meal and our appetizer. I guess they must have known Dave enjoyed his lobster wrap, because they still wanted us to pay for that. I guess they couldn't pay for the lobster meal because then they'd be expected to put out? They were going to make me a fresh plate, or a free dessert, but I was too preoccupied with wondering how far the shards of glass I'd probably already consumed would make it in my intestines before cutting me up inside. Sort of lost my appetite, you know?

Shit happens. Maybe someone broke a glass back there and didn't get all the little bits swept up off the counter. But please don't try to tell me that was salt!

No comments:

Post a Comment